Benefit Connections    FAQ
What happens when HSA contributions exceed the maximum amount that can be deducted or excluded from gross income in a taxable year?

Contributions by individuals to an HSA, or if made on behalf of an individual to an HSA, are not deductible when they exceed the limits. Contributions by an employer to an HSA for an employee are included in the gross income of the employee if they exceed the limits or if they are made on behalf of an employee who is not an eligible individual. In addition, if not withdrawn in a timely manner, an annually assessed excise tax of 6% is imposed on the accountholder for excess individual and employer contributions. Once you reach the statutory maximum, CITGO will no longer deduct contributions and Fidelity will no longer accept contributions.